Monday, June 28, 2010

Take Me Out to the Ballgame!


This card is for my nephew's birthday.  He loves everything baseball, and was even chosen for his hometown's all-star team!  It's a 5 1/2 by 5 1/2 card, and the squares are 1 11/16.  The papers are (clockwise starting from top left): Cosmo Cricket Core-dinations, SU, October Afternoon, SU, Cosmo Cricket Core-dinations, SU, Jenni Bowlin, and SU. The middle square is Jenni Bowlin.  The baseball is a L5 nestability circle cut from PTI Rustic White and sponged with Colorbox Creamy Brown. I then used the die to draw the curved seams, tracing inside & outside the die.  I then lined up the SU paper piercing template and pierced a dot on the inside line, outside line, and in the middle, rotating the template around each time.  I then sewed from the outside/inside to the middle dot in the row above.

For the flag, I cut out the wavy triangle from SU Night of Navy, and stamped and embossed "Will" using The Cat's Pajamas Coolvetica alphabet.  I punched two holes and threaded a toothpick through (I sanded down the pointy end a bit).  I hope Will thinks it's a home run card!

Do you like to read?  Do you, or someone you know, have a Grandma?  Do you like the South?  Then, honey, you need to get yourself The Sweet By and By right now, which (mostly) takes place in a nursing home.  It's one of those books I want to give everyone I know!  [Note: I say "give" because I picked up from somewhere that you should never loan a book, because that just puts pressure on the other person to read it, or they never give it back and then you're out a book, so you should either give your used book or keep your used book and buy a new one to give.*  Saves everyone awkwardness and/or heartbreak]
*I know I do run-on sentences quite often, but man, I would hate to have to diagram that puppy.

Although I wouldn't recommend these next two books for everyone, I found also found them page-turning-y and entertaining.  A Reliable Wife is a suspenseful, steamy novel set in 1907 Wisconsin.  Whether the goosebumps were from the description of the Wisconsin winter or the suspense, it certainly took my mind off the 95+ degree summer.  Life as We Knew It is a young adult novel, but don't let that deter you.  I would call it "The Road" for teens.  It's the first of a trilogy and I'll be picking up the next two soon.

What books have been home runs for you recently?  (Or strike outs, because it's good to know what's bad, too!)

5 comments:

Melina said...

Meg! This is great! I love all the squares of dp and that baseball is wonderful :)

Angela said...

Wow, your stitching on the baseball is amazing! Any baseball fan would totally love this card.
I just finished Julia Child's My Life in France (delightful) and Danielle Ganek's The Summer We Read Gatsby, which was a fun, quick summery read. And your big long sentence isn't a run-on -- no worries! (Excellent use of coordinating conjunctions, though!)

Meg said...

I think I may have to pick up the Julia Child book--the movie Julie & Julia left me wanting to know more about her (and less about the whiny Julie!)

karen h said...

The baseball is awesome - thanks for the details on how to do it. I love the pennant too!

I just read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. While it was so NOT what I thought it was, it was well written and very page-turning-y. I've read the Stephanie Plum series and love those. For something like Austen I recommend The Age of Innocence. And if you like stuff like Hitchhikers Guide, you should try Tom Holt.

Emily Leiphart said...

This is so CAS yet the details are incredible. I love how you stitched that baseball and cutomized it with Will's name on the flag... and the toothpick?! Genius.