Thursday, June 24, 2010

It's like Isner v. Mahut, but with cards!

Did anyone else watch/read/listen Wimbledon's longest match?  The guys played for over 11 hours (I watched the last twenty minutes)!  So that got me in the mood for some marathon card makin' for the Verve Release Challenges.  I can spend forever planning what stamps and paper to use for a card, so I limited myself to using (mostly) Verve stamps and to using papers from October Afternoon Daydream collection.

Game
I am in love with this paper! Even awesomer, the paper pack had some diecuts and one of them was a smaller version of the print, which I used for the balloon from Verve's Up Up & Away.  I inked the edges with a little Colorbox Creamy Brown Chalk Ink.  I used my almost-last-scrap of PTI Aqua Mist and embossed the clouds from the same Verve set with white embossing powder.  The sentiment is from PTI, and yes, I did plan it so the love was in the cloud.
The buttons are from my button stash, I think the brown one may be SU and the blue ones are from PTI Ocean Tides. I cut little strips of paper to "thread" the buttons.  The brads are Hobby Lobby and the ribbon is PTI Dark Chocolate Twill.

Set

I know, I know, normally I don't equate frogs with "happiness" of any sort, but this Cat's Pajamas Prince Charming is just too, well, "charming." I colored him with SU Old Olive marker and Prang Metallic Gold Marker.

The sentiment is from Verve's Kindred Spirits, the patterned paper is still October Afternoon Daydream, the card stock is SU Dusty Durango and Old Olive.

Match
This card came together way too easily!  I don't know why I've never used these journaling tags before; they are so much fun to frame an image with.  The polka dot, flower paper, and tag is still from October Afternoon; the text paper is PTI Sweet Blush stamped with PTI Text Styles.  I sewed around each panel, then used my fingernail to distress the edges a bit.  The butterflies and sentiment are from Verve's Petals & Stems and Fluttering By.

I stamped the butterflies onto PTI Sweet Blush, put some clear packing tape on the back (one of the best tips ever--it really adds stability to those little pieces like the antennae), cut out, and adhered with glue dots. 

Fun Isner v. Mahut Facts: They played 980 points with 2198 strokes. Isner had 112 aces and Mahut had 103; the previous record was 78.

Fun Meg Tennis Fact: My DH and I are at the pro level at doubles tennis in Wii Sports.

2 comments:

karen h said...

Great cards Meg. The frog card really captured my attention, I think it was the crisp design and earthy colors. Love the idea of the journalling tag - I have something like that and never think to use them. I didn't watch any of the tennis, but dang, I wish I had! I love Wii tennis too, though I don't think I'm at pro yet.

Emily Leiphart said...

Boy, I sure have a lot of commenting to do on your blog tonight. LOL You've been a busy little bee, Meg! I love these cards. They're just fabulous. You put so much detail into them yet they look so simple! Thanks for all the inspiration!