Monday, June 7, 2010

A CAS challenge made for me!

This week's CAS challenge is to use a quote, verse, or saying as the focal point of your card.  I love quotes of any size or shape. At school, I keep a collection and write one on the board every day.  I don't talk about it unless one of the kids asks about it, but I know for some kids it's the best part of their math class.  And the warm fuzzies I get when I see them copy one of them down, well, let's just say I like posting quotes more than I like posting the objectives of the day.

Enough jibberjabber, onto the cards!
Here's the first and my favorite one:
This quote is just perfect for today, when we have to go buy Addison a 20-lb bag of her special vet dog food ("But I'm worth it, Meg!" "You're right, Addie.")   I stamped the quote using Memento Rich Cocoa and Rhubarb Stalk.  I covered "dog" and "rich" with a post-it, then took the post-it off and very carefully used the tip of the dew drop ink pad to ink them.  And it just so happened the stamp fit perfectly in the this column from some October Afternoon paper.  The little doggy is from Eat Cake Graphics, I colored her with prismacolor pencils and baby oil, then cut her out.  And then lost her on my desk, which led to a joyful rendition of "Oh Where Has My Little Dog Gone?" which then led to my real dog leaving the room.

Anyway, the background paper is from a new pack of Cosmo Cricket Core-dination paper.  It's pre-embossed so all it needs is a little sanding.  Adhered to a Riding Hood Red cardbase, then popped the sentiment & dog up using mounting tape (my new love!).

Up next, a card for both the Technique Lover's challenge and CAS card:
sentiment: "you make my heart flutter"

A fun card to slip into DH's overnight bag.  My current favorite technique is heat embossing, so I stamped the butterfly trail in Ripe Avocado & Versamark, then clear embossed.  I colored the sentiment with markers, as well as the butterfly.  I added some polka dots to the butterfly, because really, if you have a chance to add polka dots and you don't, you're wasting your time here on earth (see, I told you I was full of quotes.  Except I'm pretty sure the original mentions something about "make the world better" rather than "add polka dots," but we stampers know those are one and the same.)

And the third and final card that I actually made for the CAS guest designer challenge yesterday, but fits in with the theme:
 sentiment: Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, 
but by the moments that take our breath away.
It was for the "sparkly" challenge.  I stamped the leaves and sentiment using colorbox bronze & versamark brilliance sky blue inks, then clear embossed.  I stamped the butterfly using Versamark onto the dp, which has the live/love/sing/dance words in metallic.

Supplies:
Card One: Eat Cake Graphics Dog stamp, Cloud9 dog quote stamp, October Afternoon Daydream paper pack, Cosmo Cricket Core-dinations, SU Baja Breeze & Riding Hood Red, Prismacolor pencils, baby oil



Card Two: WPlus9 Bird & Bees, Unity August KOM sentiment, PTI bitty box paper and Spring Moss cardstock, versamark, markers, clear embossing powder


Card Three: WPlus9 Woodgrain Additions, PTI Out on a Limb sentiments, PTI kraft cardstock, Kaisercraft dp, Colorbox bronze ink, Versamagic Sky Blue Brilliance Ink, Versamark, clear embossing powder

5 comments:

karen h said...

Love your quote card. And that is so cool you share quotes with the kids - I like it when teachers think beyond the ABC (or in your case the 123 ;) ). I too love Eat Cake Graphics but haven't ventured to buy any yet. (All my money goes to PTI.)

So are you glad you started your blog??

Angela said...

Yay! When I taught HS, I did the quote thing too!
All three cards are great, and a great fit for the challenge. I have that Coredinations pack, too -- I should break it out soon! Thanks for the inspiration.

Emily Leiphart said...

All of these are wonderful, Meg! The dog one is so awesome. We have to buy our cat special vet food, too, so I know where you're coming from! I love that second card's background and of course you know I LOVE the third one. ;)

LeAnne said...

I am puzzled as to WHY I have never seen your cute creations on SCS before.....my loss! They are adorable! My daughter has a corgi, so your blog caught my eye. I LOVE the sentiment on the first card (the dog too) and have had many renditions of "where did that little thing I just stamped/colored/cut out/whatever go?"!!! I swear there are gnomes in my stamp room!
Can't wait to check out your other posts!

C said...

Hee,hee..cute dog card, Meg. I think it's my fave of the three...and I have gremlins in my craft studio...I swear I've seen them.