Thursday, June 3, 2010

ResQ Challenge Birthday Card

I must give a big shout out to all the semifinalists that were stalking the CAS DT thread with me Tuesday night (when Jen forgot what day it was and left us in suspense for 5 hours). I asked if I should start a blog and the overwhelming response was "YES!" Then a whole bunch of them were sweet enough to drop by and say hello after I announced that I had started this one.

So while we were waiting, we all spent some time visiting each other's blogs, and I made my first visit to the Res-Q-Challenge blog. The challenge that night was a red, white, and blue birthday card, which I ended up making yesterday (and therefore am a day late and a dollar short since there is a new challenge posted, complete with surgery scar pictures!)


For my money, you can't go wrong with Baja Breeze and Riding Hood Red. I stamped the flowers onto the white base as well as onto some Red Riding Hood. I colored the leaves with a prismacolor pencil and baby oil, cut out the red flowers and adhered. I stamped the PTI Vintage Picnic onto Baja Breeze, cut out, and adhered with new-to-me 3-D glue dots.

Which brings me to the question of the day: what's your favorite 3-D adhering thing? When I first started stamping about two years ago, I bought some foam dots at the dollar store that were awesome. Only now they are starting to use their adhesion (yes, I used the same pack for two years. And they were just thrown in a drawer, not in any plastic or anything. I'm amazed they lasted this long!) and I can't find them again. All the other foam dots seem too thick or too thin or too expensive. Let me know if you've found true love with a 3D adhesion item!

Back to the card, the rest is pretty simple--stamped the sentiment, cut out some nesties and accented with a white gel pen, and swiss dotted the bottom layer.

Thanks for ResQing me!

Supplies:
Stamps:
PTI Vintage Picnic
Paper: SU Baja Breeze and Riding Hood Red cardstock, sweet slumber dp, Gina K Pure Luxory White
Ink: Memento black, Colorbox Red Lipstick
Other: Prismacolor Pencil #911, baby oil, Zots 3-D pop dots, white gel pen, nesties

3 comments:

Angela said...

Aw, Meg, this is such a lovely card! RHRed is my all-time favorite red, and I'm so glad it's coming back!
For 3-D-ness, I have a few favorites. I held out for a long time before getting some SU! Dimensionals, but I'm kinda hooked now. They're little hexagons, so there's no wasted space, and they're the right size for popping up little things.
For anything not little, I just grab my giant roll of Scotch mounting tape from the hardware store. I buy the biggest roll I can find, and it lasts forever, even though I use it a lot on big stuff, like raising up photos on layouts and such.
Whew! Sorry to suck up your comment space! Who knew I was so opinionated?

Meg said...

Ooooh, I never thought of buying the mounting tape from the hardware store--I just bought some at JoAnn's to try (50% pricier I bet!). Thanks for the hint!

Denise said...

This card is awesome! ANd no way were you late to the party! I gotta say I love love love my ATG (I have the red one) and SU dimensionals. They are the perfect height as far as foam goes. Your blog is fabulous! Thanks for playing RESQ challenge this week, I hope to see you again soon!