Saturday, June 5, 2010

Medallion Anniversary Card


This is the first of two cards I'm making for my DH for our 3rd anniversary next Wednesday. I really wanted to use the medallion for Taylored Expressions Sketch #116.

I started by stamping the Stampin' Up Medallion in versamark onto new-to-me discontinued SU paper and embossing with black embossing powder.

Ok, to be honest, I didn't start that way. I first tried to stamp the middle with cream and the outside with black and do clear embossing, but my black pigment pad turned out to be useless. Then I tried stamping the middle & embossing with white, then stamping the outside and embossing with black. Since you don't see that on the card, I bet you can guess how that turned out.

Anyway, I then went to work on the side panel. I knew I wanted to use the cream buttons--they were extras from my wedding dress, here they are on the dress:


The buttons were kind of lonely by themselves, so I added some black grommets that I got on clearance at HL. Now, of course I didn't read the fine print about using them with the Crop-a-dile big bite, but I thought that it was more of a guideline than a rule anyway. Turns out: grommets are not fun to pry out of your crop-a-dile. I ended up setting them with a screwdriver, which actually wasn't too horrible and about $30 cheaper than a big bite.

I printed the sentiment using Bernhart font (if you ever see a computer generated sentiment you'd like to have, let me know and I can post or email the file). After cutting it out with a Spellbinders ribbon tag die, I sponged some Old Olive onto it. This yummy scrunched ribbon is from Hobby Lobby, it was a set of 5 different colors for less than $5. The final step was attaching the two panels using Scotch Mounting Tape, which I must say I could learn to like. I'm definitely going to take Angela's suggestion of scoping it out at my local home improvement center (note to self: also get magnetic radiator covers for nestie storage needs!).

And just because this photo was near the other one and it makes me happy, I'm going to end my post with it.

A perfect moment from a perfect day.

7 comments:

Melina said...

This card is gorgeous! That is an awesome idea of using your wedding dress buttons on your Anniversary card! OMGoodness, Wonderful!
I love your wedding pictures!

Angela said...

What a thoughtful card - love the buttons. And this is probably the best black-embossing job I've seen! I always end up with strays....
If you find those dang radiator covers, let me know where...I've never been able to find them!

Emily Leiphart said...

Happy Anniversary to you and your DH, Meg! Your card is beautiful, strong and masculine. Your DH will love it!

karen h said...

Meg your dress was beautiful! What a great idea to use those extras like this. Your card is beautiful. I never get good coverage with solid stamps, let alone embossing...I'm in awe!

Taylor said...

Hi Meg! Thanks for participating in the TESC116 sketch challenge! Your card was selected as one of our Top Crops this week! You can check out the announcement here: http://tayloredexpressions.blogspot.com/2010/06/tesc115-top-crops.html

Here's a link to the Top Crops badge if you'd like to display it on your blog:

http://sites.google.com/site/tayloredexpressionsimages/images/TopCropsbadge.png

Unknown said...

Holy cow! This is beautiful and congrats on your anniversary??

Rose said...

Happy Anniversary to you! What a gorgeous card!