Sunday, June 20, 2010

Got Corgi?

Hello to all my loyal fans!  Sorry I've been neglecting my poor blog in its infancy, but my mom came to visit last weekend (superfun!) and then my DH and I were in Washington DC visiting his mom Tuesday through Saturday (also superfun!).  We got back home around midnight last night, and then today it took me way too long to make this card today (but I had fun, and isn't that what's important?)

I couldn't believe it when I read the SCS Free-For-All challenge from Friday: a card honoring man's best friend!  HELLO!  Perfect challenge for me! And, yes, I even got the bonus points since it is a Father's Day card for my DH from Addison. Plus I used Wplus9's color cue challenge of brown, aqua, orange, and green (way out of my comfort zone--I mean, orange?!?) and Karen's Sweet Sunday Sketch Challenge 74

I started stamping the Eat Cake Graphics dog onto Gina K Cream paper.  If you look at the ears, this dog is obviously a corgi, yet for some reason the stamp has a tail on it (or maybe it's a cardigan?) (or maybe I see a corgi in every dog stamp with big ears ;) ).  Addie's fur is so hard to color match.  I used Burnt Ochre Prismacolor pencil to lightly draw some fur (I used sepia for the ears), then colored over it with a Y21 copic (and YR00 for the ears). It's an easy way to get a furry effect.

I used L4 and S5 square nesties to cut out the cream and the SU Baja Breeze, then used my new early birthday gift of Big Scallop Squares nesties to cut out the SU Dusty Durango.  The green dp is from an old SU pack and I stamped it using a Studio G alphabet with Memento Rich Cocoa ink.  The big We R Memory Keepers eyelet I picked up at TJ Maxx-they had a fairly large selection of eyelets, jumbo eyelets, and snaps for $2/package (they had some near the stationary section and then an even larger supply at the checkout lane if you want to try to score some).  And as you can see, I went a little crazy on the distressing to make it all "manly" and such. 

I still have posts from last week to read in my google reader--so many pretty cards to look at.  Also, remember that today (Sunday) is the last day for the 10% off sale at Verve, The Cat's Pajamas, and My Favorite Things (code for MFT: SUSIEQ) with a portion of the proceeds benefiting Susiestampalot as her husband undergoes cancer treatments.  I heard that if you are buying stamps for a good cause (especially if you are helping someone fight stupid #$@%* cancer), the money doesn't have to come out of your stamping budget, it can come out of the "help your fellow man" budget, so buy up some stamps, peeps!  If you're reading this Monday, you can donate directly using paypal on Susan's blog. 

5 comments:

karen h said...

Adorable card! I love the coloring - and thanks for the tip on how to make it furry looking. Love your philosophy on buying stamping stuff for a good cause :)

Crafty Math Chick said...

Such an adorable card, I am sure Addison was proud to give it to her Daddy. Glad you are enjoying your well deserved summer!

~Meredith

Emily Leiphart said...

Isn't that little Corgi the cutest!! I love all the distressing and fab twine through the eyelet.

Dawn said...

That little pup is too cute! Love the layout.

Elise said...

Now, you're just killing me! From one puppy-lover to another... You HAD me at the title of your post! What a fun, inspired and HAPPY card! Wahoooo!