Thursday, June 9, 2011

Finally....the premiere of My Movie Subway Art

Ta-da:
Ok, I'll admit: all the work was worth it.  There are 1,000 great blog tutorials on how to make your own subway art using the silhouette to cut the vinyl.  Here are three hints I would add:
1) Do a test cut of all your fonts. You don't want to have everything all planned out and then realized the silhouette doesn't cut one of your fonts very easily. Hint 1A would be don't use a thin serif font!  Save yourself!  The fonts I used (in order) are: Calibri, Arial Black, Rockwell, Century Gothic (bold), and Palatino Lintoype.
2) The brayer is your friend.  Use it all over the vinyl before you weed, use it to apply the transfer tape, use it to apply the vinyl.  Also your friend is painter's tape and your husband's t-square for easy straight lines.
3) Don't try to use metallic spray paint to cover MDF!!!

So, in case you're a bit behind on your pop culture, here is a list of all the quotes (full disclosure: I threw in some tv shows, too):
You're gonna need a bigger boat-Jaws
I have a bad feeling about this-Star Wars
Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?-2001: A Space Odyssey 
There's no crying in baseball.-A League of Their Own
I wish I had a million dollars...hot dog!-It's A Wonderful Life (yes, this is also where my one typo is.  that's how you know it's handmade, right?)
Why Kate, you're not wearing a bustle.  How lewd. -Tombstone
It's an illusion, Michael. -Arrested Develpment
That's a negative, ghost rider, the pattern is full. -Top Gun
Squirrel!-Up
I just don't dig on swine, that's all. -Pulp Fiction
You must have some powerful enemies. -Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs
Fair enough. -The Right Stuff
Asps...very dangerous. You go first.  -Raiders of the Lost Ark
Failure is not an option. -Apollo 13
Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill you. -Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
You're never too old for Space Camp. -Stranger than Fiction
I said everything's a-ok. -The Right Stuff
What a crazy random happenstance.  -Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
As you wish -The Princess Bride

So did I use some of your favorite quotes?  What is your favorite one that I should have put on there?  Share in the comments!

(ETA that I'm linking this up for Hooking Up with House of Hepworths link party.)

10 comments:

Maria@Crafty Cre8tions said...

Wow!!!! What an awesome project!!!!!!!!!
How did you come up with all the quotes? I lvoe them!
I would think I'd have to put a Caddy Shack quote in there somewhere :)

Terrific!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maria

Emily Keaton said...

Awesome, Meg!! What a labor of love. Great quotes, all!!

If I were to make something like that, I'd have to consider including "You'll shoot your eye out."

Lindsey said...

WOW. Totally worth the hours (and hours) of work. Excellent choice of quotations! If I had to add one, it might be, "I am not an Elephant!" Or maybe "We'll always have Paris" (But perhaps too obvious.) You know what? I'd never be able to decide. :P This is incredible, Meg.

Jessi Fogan said...

I love this! Duly noted about the metallic paint/MDF problem :)
I'd have to second Emily on that quote...my faves that you included are "Squirrel!" "As you wish" and "I just don't dig on swine." All 3 of those get said around here all the time. I would definitely have had to tuck "Inconceivable!" and "Have fun storming the castle!" in there too. In fact, if I was doing this for my hubs, I might just stick entirely with the Princess Bride. He loves it - he bought himself this shirt: http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/giftsunder20/9f70/

Sue from Oregon said...

Cool...these always look so intimidating to make. I so admire how everything is so straight!!!

Emily Leiphart said...

This is AMAAAZING, Meg! I don't understand the technicalities of it BUT it certainly looks like a lot of work. It was worth every hour and dollar! I can't wait to hear what Mr. Corgi thought of his gift and how on earth you hid this project from him while it was in the works!!!

Lisa Lara said...

Wow Meg...this is amazing. I love love it. Don't think I did not notice that Top Gun phrase.

Angela said...

This really is amazing, Meg -- I'm sure the Mr. loves it already. Oh man, if I included TV and movies, well, I think we're gonna need a bigger board! :)

I'm glad this worked out, and in time, too! Awesome!

Smilie girl said...

I am sooooo impressed! Love it!

krafting kelly said...

Best subway art EVER! This is amazing, and so much work... the designing, the weeding, and then getting it so straight. Wow.