Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Sometimes there's nothing else to say

This is for Bev's HYCCT "Looking in on You" challenge to make a window card. Sometimes there's nothing else to say except life isn't fair and sometimes it just sucks, and usually dealing with cancer is one of those times. The inside of the card has one of my husband's quotes: "Sometimes you're the windshield; sometimes you're the bug."  (Alternate version: "Sometimes you get the elevator, sometimes you get the shaft.")

If this card seems familiar, I made a red version a while back for the Market Street blog.   This is some new Aspire Petallics shimmery paper I got--thanks for everyone's suggestions on where to find some metallic paper.  I will definitely be checking out Hobby Lobby and discount stores soon.  This Aspire stuff is pretty, but also pretty thin (almost copy weight).  So the good news is the Silhouette cuts through it like butter, bad news is you couldn't make a card base out of it.  This set uses Market Street's Gone Campin' set and if you've been eyeing up some Market Street, this week is definitely the time to do so!  Be sure to check out the blog for the newest anniversary deal AND sign up for the new "neighborhood" ning forum for an added bonus. 

This second card is for Wanda's "Hang in There" challenge. I colored and paper pieced this sweet little Sugar Nellie stamp, who now looks a bit tipsy when she didn't before.  I took advantage of the two sided Amuse paper so she'd have a night sky background color.  Although now I'm thinking I should have stamped some stars back there.  But I didn't and I can't because (YES!) I mailed off 12 cards to MD Anderson yesterday.  The postal worker only looked at me a little askance when she saw I had written "LOVE ENCLOSED PLEASE DO NOT BEND" on the envelope.  They should add that to their "anything potentially fragile, perishable, liquid, or hazardous" question.  I can't tell you how much mailing that package helped lift my mood during a difficult month and I would highly recommend playing along!

Only one book today since it's almost dinner time, and don't mock me for liking it!

It's the newest Chet and Bernie mystery!  As told by Chet the dog (aka "Chet the Jet")!  How could I not love this entire series?  Oh, except for the end of the one book where Chet has a suspicious lump which is TOTALLY NOT COOL!  Why would Spencer Quinn do that?  I think he got told to wise up, though, because within the first couple pages of the next one the vets calls and everything is ok. WHICH IS HOW IT SHOULD BE.  I would definitely recommend this series if you like (a) mysteries (b) dogs or (c) dogs and mysteries.  Amazon Link.

16 comments:

Maria@Crafty Cre8tions said...

OK! LOL - 'sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug' TOO FUNNY girl!

But - also - perfect for a 'life sucks' card!

Card#2 is just terrific for the 'hang in there' challenge.........I love the moon hanging there! I just love your creativity!!!!!!!!!

The book looks like a good one (except for the lump part). Glad the next book cleared up any doubt!!!

Maria :)

*Alison* said...

these both are adorable.. LOVE the car one :) hehe.. sometimes life does just SUCK! :) so fun! hugs

Smilie girl said...

Gorgeous cards that I'm sure will help brighten someone's day.
Got very excited about your book review but can't get a kindle version of it for Australia. I'll get over it. Enjoy!

Emily Keaton said...

Both of these cards are fabulously creative, Meg. The folks at MD Anderson are lucky and blessed to be receiving your envelope full of love!! I'm enjoying seeing all of your creations for HYCCT, and I'm so glad to hear that the creating is also helping you. Thank you for doing the challenges. :)

Handmade Cards by Archana said...

Both the cards are super fabulous!!! loved it completely.

Sarah said...

Love what you did with that Sugar Nellie image. Just adorable! And I'm so happy that you got them into the mail. That's always the hardest part for me.

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

I remember your red "life sucks" card and this one is just as cute and appropriate. I LOVE your swinging gal with the night sky behind her. I have been vowing to send off my cards lately. Yes-it makes you feel so good! Why oh why do I have boxes of hundreds of cards in my craft room that have not been mailed to anyone? Really? I got mad at myself for that this month so I have been giving the PO some much needed business. They will keep my local little branch open just because of me now-yes, I mail cards out AND save jobs and the economy in the process!

Hugs to you Meg. Your blog always makes me SMILE. :0)

Jessi Fogan said...

I can't believe you've shown me an animal mystery series I don't already read. I didn't think that was possible. {hangs head in mock shame}
I love the little drunken party girl hanging off the moon ;) And yeah, life sometimes just sucks. So awesome that this challenge is helping it suck a little less right now.

Emily Leiphart said...

Oh, Meg, you make the sweetest cards! I totally understand why this month is so difficult for you. Your sister would be so proud that you made all those cards. I love what you wrote on the envelope and all of MD Anderson's patients will, too!

Jocelyn Olson said...

I love your bug/bug card...so appropriate and I think it will definitely make someone smile. The window card is *amazing* (I don't think it needs stars). So cool! I am super happy that you were able to get them in the mail. :) Thinking about you...

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Lovely cards, Meg. And yeah, sometimes pure honesty is the best approach to sentiments! :)

Sue from Oregon said...

That luv bug car is a cutie and the "swinger" card so very fun!

Anonymous said...

gosh, I don't know which one I love more. That bug card is amazing. LOVE IT and Love that sweet swinging moon card too.

Angela said...

So I just wrote an amazing comment and my browser froze. Boo. So I'll summarize: you are amazingly creative, funny, and sweet, and I totally have someone in mind for your book rec. Thanks!!

Lisa Lara said...

I so love your life sucks bug. Hee. Love love love it Meg you talented girl you. I love that girl swinging on the moon.

Lynn Pratt said...

I loved you card so much, I had to make one of my own and I linked you. I even created a template for the car. You can see if here if you would like:
http://stampndesign.blogspot.com/2011/11/vw-bug-bad-day-card.html