Sunday, October 2, 2011

Silhouette By Numbers

Q: So what do you get when you combine this picture of my parents' dog, Marley,
with this tutorial from dudecraft,
along with some Picnik and Silhouette magic?

Answer:
THIS!!!
Yes, this was the special project that I was waiting to post until my parentals got it.  I call it Silhouette by Numbers since it's like a paint-by-numbers picture but using the Silhouette instead.  Um, did I just totally over-explain that?  Well, maybe I did, but I bet you still have more questions, like:

Q: How did you get the original picture into a paint-by-number looking one?  
A: Using Picnik's "posterize" option (near the bottom of the effects tab)
Q: How did you cut out the different colors?
A: Using the trace feature in the silhouette and playing around with the different sliders.  Once I had the cutouts for a certain color, I made sure to group them and cut them out as they were laid out (instead of ungrouping and scrunching them together to use less paper) so I could use the negative as a guide to place them.
Q: What color paper did you use?
The polka dot paper is from Echo Park's Life is Good.  I put the rest of the colors on a key shown to the right.
Q: How do you get the Silhouette to cut out thick SU and PTI paper?
A: You need more than just "double cut" for these.  If you select an object in the Studio while holding down control, it will add another cut to your image.  I usually have it cut about 3 or 4 times on 1 speed and 33 thickness.
Q: Wow. Shouldn't you just drop the $15 for a new blade?
A: Probably, but it would still take at least 3 cuts for thick paper.  I'd rather spend my money on new sticky mats, which are really necessary when you're making multiple passes.  I recommend buying the Cricut ones and cutting them down.
Q: How long did it take you to glue all those pieces?
A: Not as long as you would think.  Maybe an hour, hour and a half total.
Q: What did you use for glue?
A: I made my own mod-podge by watering down 3/4 cup of elmer's with 1/4 cup of water.  Just call me Martha.  Yeah, like Martha would ever use non-name brand Mod Podge.  Well, maybe if she used this recipe that starts from scratch with flour, sugar, and oil.
Q: What did you glue it on?
A: A cheap (like $1.50 cheap) 8x10 canvas.  They have value packs at Michael's right now with a different type of sale each week.  (I've stocked up on all sorts of sizes for future Silhouette crafts.)  I also wrapped the edges in ribbon.
Q: Were you ready to abandon the whole project after doing the mock-up in the Silhouette program because you thought it looked like crap?
A: Funny you should ask that, because: yes.  Then I had to go out of the room for a second and when I came back I noticed how great it looked from afar, which is definitely the key to this.  Even when I was gluing it together, I still wasn't sure until I took a couple steps back.  So remember that if you try this on your own.
Q: Should I try this on my own?
A: Most definitely!  And send me a link if you do!
Q: Are you going to make one of Addie?
A: Well, I'm sure the one of Addie would look really stupid with those big ears and stripe down her nose, so I definitely should not do one of her.  It's not like I even like the mangy mutt, right?
Q: You're joking, right?
A: Yes.  But I have a few more projects to work on before I can get started on hers.
Q: Also, shouldn't "mangy" have an e before the y?
A: You'd think so, but you'd be wrong.  I checked dictionary.com. 
Q: Did your parentals like it?
A:  Uh....YEAH!  Plus I must also add that I told my dad about his cards making the "hot" list for the Embellish challenge and he read the comments on my blog, then called me up laughing out loud at some of the stuff y'all wrote on there! :)  So thanks from me and my dad for all those great comments!

12 comments:

Jess said...

Loving the dog pic, but I need to share something slightly important!!!!!!

http://www.tmz.com/2011/10/02/arrested-development-television-show-one-more-season-mitch-hurwitz-ron-howard/

TASTE THE HAPPY MICHAEL!! :-)

karen h said...

Dang girl - that is so creative! I love this!

Maria@Crafty Cre8tions said...

Wow - you have OUTDONE yourself AGAIN!!!

Of course your parents had to LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!!!!!!!

Just incredible Meg!!!!


Maria

Sue from Oregon said...

very very cool!

Angela said...

Wowzers. That's all I can say. Amazing. You have the patience of a saint and the skill of an artist. Wow!!!

Jessi Fogan said...

You have GOT to do more of these Q & A sessions with yourself. I am thoroughly tickled reading about the process...and no, Martha wouldn't use no name Mod Podge. I can't even type the sound of the snooty snort she'd make at the thought. lol
And I nearly forgot to say, this is awesome. Totally worth the insanity it must have caused :) (or maybe it was insanity that gave you the idea to go for it?....hmmm....)

Jocelyn Olson said...

Okay, I thought "mangy" had an "e" so I learned a very important lesson. I also learned that I don't have to use expensive glue, and Elmers works well, too. Finally, I learned that you know no limits on making AMAZING projects. Your picture is *so* cool! P.S. I saw a baby Corgi last night. I almost ran the people down to see the dog but decided they would probably run away from me in terror from my overzealousness. The dog had the biggest ears for its body...it was so cute!

Smilie girl said...

Gob smacked I am. That's amazing. Even more amazing when you answer all my questions and more and I realise how much work was involved. Lucky parentals! Beautiful Marley.

Jenny said...

What an awesome technique...love the image. I'm not surprised your parents loved it:)
Jenny x

Emily Leiphart said...

:O Okay, I'm speechless. You never fail to amaze me with your Silhouette projects and write-ups. This is amazing!! You should win some kind of award for it. Seriously.

Jen W. said...

This is SO AWESOME!!! I love it! I have a feeling you're going to get a lot for requests for these...

And your Q & A is hilarious! I'm still chuckling...

Crafty Math Chick said...

AWESOME!