Thursday, September 2, 2010

VSN Cards

I didn't want to be a whole week before I posted again, so I actually held back posting cards I made this weekend.  I wish I could have participated in VSN more, but it just wasn't in the cards (ha!!!).  This first challenge I did required using the Cuttlebug Wax Paper Resist technique, which I had never done before.  Even though it involved (a) ironing and (b) a slightly burned finger, I will definitely be doing this again.  How can I "resist" results like these (I am on fire with the puns tonight, aren't I?)
 I used the SU Vintage Wallpaper embossing folder with Rose Red ink.  I didn't want to cover the paper up, so I just added the ribbon tag with PTI sentiment on a PTI Dark Chocolate twill ribbon, then mounted it on a dark chocolate base, corners cropped with my new corner chomper (love!).

The second one features an embossed panel that Angela sent me.
It's from the Cuttlebug Sentimental embossing folder 4-pack, which I must buy immediately.  The VSN challenge was to use water to make your card, so I used the misting with water technique with this SU Just Believe image.  I had printed the map for a different project and it was the wrong size, so I had the piece in my scrap bin.  I pulled it out to use the white part of the paper, but then thought it would be a fun vintage-y touch to stamp it on the map.  I added a deckle rectangle mat.  I'm down to my last piece of Soft Suede, so I cut it as a card front, and of course it doesn't exactly match up with the cream base.  Doh!

My awesome fact for today that a student pointed out to me, but turns out is actually a big deal in LA with parties and such:  today is 9/02/10, as in "Beverly Hills, 90210."  If only I still had my Dylan shirt that I wore in middle school to put on for the occasion!

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

You are such a punny girl - ha ha!

I love both cards. I have to try that background technique. It is gorgeous!

Emily Keaton said...

These are both BEAUTIFUL, Meg! I've never heard of the Cuttlebug Wax Paper Resist technique, but I adore your results. Too bad I don't have a Cuttlebug (or any similar machinery) or I'd be trying it out this very minute!!

Interesting 90210 fact! I guess it's too late for "date" parties for my 01864 ZIP . . . so sad :(

Emily Leiphart said...

Gorgeous cards, Meg! I love the results of the wax paper resist technique and I'm tempted to give it a try except for the fact that I haven't used my iron in more than two years. LOL

I love the map image in the second. It looks amazing the way you stamped the flowers over top and added the deckled nestie behind it. I love it!

Angela said...

These are so cool! I'll have to check out that technique for sure. Iron a shirt, iron a card -- multitasking! Or, as one of my students wrote, multitastic!
The second -- well, how could I not like it? The embossing looks great inked up, and the map-stamping is genius. Makes me wanna open my old boxes of ephemera from an earlier crafting phase.
I'll be catching up on blogging soon, I hope! Withdrawal is setting in!

Lisa Lara said...

Hi Meg. These are beauties. I did not play. Love yours.

Maria@Crafty Cre8tions said...

Gorgeous cards! I havent heard about the wax resist - I will have to look that up!
Sadly, I'm so behind on my cardmaking and posting.........hopefully I'll find some time on Sunday or Monday!
Maria