Sunday, August 22, 2010

CAS DT Search

The Fall CAS Design Team search has begun, and the first challenge is to create a card for the theme "Teacher's Pet" using at least one punch.  Right up my alley!

I was going to do a book theme with a gift card holder, and when I went to get my Barnes & Noble teacher discount card out to use as a size template, it had a "heart apple," which inspired me to make this card instead.  I used my Marvy Uchida heart punch to punch the three hearts out of Gina K Pure Luxury cardstock, then colored them using R24, R27, and R29 copic markers.  I swiped the blender pen a couple times for the soft highlighting and used a white gel pen for the top highlighting.  The leaves were cut from Old Olive and the stems from Soft Suede (these two tasks were the most challenging of the entire card--my desk is covered in too big leaves, too small leaves, too long stems, too thick stems...).  I used my Xyron to adhere them to a white rectangle bordered with black, which is foam mounted onto the Old Olive background.
 The sentiment is from PTI's Vintage Picnik.  I wrapped some wonderful red burlap twine that Emily (aka "stamping out") sent me around the card, then gathered it using a separate piece of twine that I pulled through the button and tied.  I think we find out Tuesday night if we've made the first round--fingers crossed!

Speaking of fingers crossed and winning, the voting is up for PaperWorks Company's Ultimate Summer Challenge. There is some stiff competition, so any love you'd like to leave for our Creative Critters team would be much appreciated!

6 comments:

Karen H. said...

Awesome card Meg! I love the heart apples - too cute.

Angela said...

Definitely a winner! Great layout. Good luck, not that you need it!!

Emily Leiphart said...

Meg, you've blown me away with these heart apples! At first I thought they were covered with crystal effects until I read how you coloured and highlighted them. They're fantastic!

You keep using your Xyron so now I will definitely have to get one. I wish I had thought of it when I was at Michael's yesterday with my 40% off coupon. ;P

I love that burlap twine, too. Emily sent me the link and I think I have to get some. The fuzziness of it is cool and different from baker's twine. Talk about enabling!

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this! Your punched heart apples are DELISH! Love them! :)

Cheryl said...

This is really cute! I love the design and the colors. Good luck!

Karen H. said...

Your blog has been quiet. I guess school started back up for ya? I hope you are working on your next CAS DT card!!