Friday, July 30, 2010

DTGD: Phase Eight

I must say my enthusiasm for DTGD was severely dampened by the last two sketches.  I really struggled with getting them to work, especially this first one, which is a shame because the image is SO CUTE!
This Pink Cat Studio's "Sick Billy" looks exactly like my DH! Did you know PCS is having a DT call right now?  I really wanted a pattern on the couch, but since I only had the one image, I had to make my own with a blue copic marker and an Old Olive marker.  I colored Billy's blanket, pillow, and sweatshirt using an aquapainter and SU markers, then colored the rest of him and the dog Addison using Copics.  I embossed some white-core DCWV blue paper and sanded and then spent about half an hour trying to figure out what to put for that skinny strip floating on the side, and finally settled on some Kiwi Kiss ribbon, although I don't really like it.  The sentiment is from My Favorite Things, heat embossed, and the button is SU with cardstock "thread."  Did anyone other DTGD player get stumped on this sketch?

This next sketch card went a little better, once I tripped over my medallion stamp and the lightbulb went off to use it for the background circle.
I embossed the medallion onto a piece of Mellow Moss patterned paper.  I like the vaguely shabby look it has, or at least I tell myself that because it's hard to get a good embossing with this stamp! ;)  I clear embossed Dasher onto Soft Suede (I think I'm going to have to break down and make a Stampin' Up order just to replenish this color, and get the dye ink pad for it!) and matted it with Cherry Cobbler.  The ribbon and faux bow (it's not tied, but glue dotted together) are PTI Scarlet Jewel.

I'm in the final stretch for DTGD--only two more challenges to finish.  Plus tonight from 6-10 EST is a Mini Virtual Stamp Night--challenge overload!!!! :)

7 comments:

Emily Leiphart said...

Heehee, I love the way you plaided the armchair! Overall, your colour combo is fantastic and of course I think that your DH and Addison is totally adorable!! I LOVE the way you coloured Addison. :D I don't know what the original sketch looks like but I love your composition of this card!

Your holiday card is fantastic, too! I love that medallion in the background. It anchors the reindeer so nicely. You make me wonder (again) if I should purchase that medallion. LOL

Enjoy the rest of the DTGD challenges as well as MVSN. You'll be a busy gal tonight! ;)

Angela said...

Oh, thanks for the VSN reminder!
Your cards are super-cute -- I struggled with that 1st sketch, too -- yours came out better! The coloring/patterning are awesome!
I heart Dasher. And Medallion. Great combo!
Oh, and I don't remember your acronym, but yes, I have loved Paul Rudd since Clueless!! I am in the club! And I can totally party with the Haiti-ans.

Emily Keaton said...

Hey, Meg, I love your cards for today! I think you did a super job with that top sketch, even if you *did* struggle with it. Great guy colors, love your handmade plaid :) The medallion card is so chic!! And the "shabby" look looks *totally* intentional. Good work on making so much progress on the DTGD challenges! I wish you luck on your final two :) Have a great weekend!

Crafty Math Chick said...

These cards are both spectacular Meg - I would NEVER have guessed that the couch was NOT DP - looks awesome (and I love Addi's coloring). Your holiday card is clean and classic too, love it. I wish I could play the DTGD & VSN Mini challenges too, but I haven't seen my hubby in a long, long time. I wish there were a few weeks later in August, but then I guess you couldn't play huh?

HUGS!
Meredith

Maria@Crafty Cre8tions said...

Sorry you struggled with the first one. That image is SOOOOOOOOOOOO Adorable!! I'd feel better laying around w/ my dogs!!

Card #2 is a beautiful xmas card! Love that medallion stamp!! Yummy!!!

Can't wait to see your final two challenge cards!!
Maria

Cheryl said...

I hate when I struggle with a sketch. You seem to have gotten your mojo back and got it done. Very cute! I have the girl version of this stamp.

I love (I mean "LOVE") your Christmas card. Simple and elegant. I need to get that medallion stamp.

Melina said...

love the cards Meg. The embossing on the top one and the Medallion on the second one! :)