Wednesday, July 28, 2010

DTGD: Phase Seven + OLW14

In case you placed bets yesterday, I lasted about 6 hours before I gave DH his suitcase scrapbook!  He LOVED it (of course).  He immediately recognized it was supposed to be a suitcase and that the stickers were all from places we've been. I got super-bonus points for one of the pin-up girl pictures being on his favorite airplane (which was just luck on my part that it came up in the first couple pages of searching). And of course he loved all the photos (and the cross-processing). He was also excited to see his own plane on one of the stickers, made from a photo that he took (I used postercize in Picnik, then added some text).

Yesterday we also went to a free Gofobo preview of Dinner for Schmucks last night.  First of all, let me say, this is the way to see a movie at the theater.  We usually wait for the DVD because of all the movie theatre obnoxiousness, but this was a full house of nice, normal, well-behaved people, threatened with ejection if they used their cell phone (including texting) AND they made the lady with the screaming baby leave AND there were no previews or commercials before the movie (AND did I mention it was free?).  Second of all, it was a darn funny movie!!  You know how most comedies nowadays are really funny for the first 10 minutes, kinda funny for about 30 minutes, then it's just a long, unfunny hour until the end?  Well, this had us laughing the entire two hours-I would definitely recommend it if you're looking for a stupid-in-a-good-way comedy.       

Anyway, onto the cards!  Here's another Dare to Get Dirty card that I made last week:
The image paper and the background paper are from an SEI Valentine's pack I bought two Valentine's ago--it ended up being a bit glittery for my taste, but it does have some beautiful shimmery paper.  I stamped the hydrangea in Soft Suede and clear embossed.  The background paper is embossed with SU Vintage Wallpaper folder, then layered onto the kraft base.  The sentiment is from PTI Delightful Dahlia, stamped in Soft Suede & clear embossed on PTI Ocean Tides, matted with Gina K Pure Luxury Ivory.  The butterflies are cut from the shimmery paper, too.  Then I went crazy with the distress inking to give it a real shabby chic look--I wish you could see it in person because the inking + the shimmer is just yummy!
This is a quick one-layer card for Susan's One-Layer Wonder Challenge to use outline stamps on a square card.  It is also in honor of Susan's new puppy because PUPPY!!  This is an Eat Cake Graphics stamp aptly titled "Rowley Jumps Yippee!" and the sentiment is from a Hot off the Press Hobby Lobby set.  I cut a 3/8 inch mat from a piece of copy paper and taped it down over my 4 1/4 inch So Saffron cardbase, then stamped Rowley all over in Memento Rich Cocoa.  After I took the mat off, I markered in a border using a ruler. 

Well, I think this post is long enough for now, doncha think?  I better get back to finishing those last few DTGD challenges--I heard they're picking up some prizes at CHA!

8 comments:

Angela said...

Cute cards - and way to get on that OLW14! I like the way you just kinda left the hydrangea stamp alone, too -- I have it, but don't have much patience for coloring. Great use of Soft Suede, too :)
Thanks for the Schmucks review! I'm glad it was actually funny and not just preview funny. Plus, I love Kristen Schall, and I think Paul Rudd is pretty hot. Too much information? Oh, and stupid-funny is one of my favorite genres.
PS: Marty didn't get a transfusion today - her numbers are up! More tests tomorrow, though.

Karen H. said...

Awesome cards. I love the colors in the first card (I need to get more comfortable with Ocean Tides - it is such a pretty color).

Your one layer card is way cute!

Emily Leiphart said...

Oohhh (do I say that every time?) that is one beautiful hydrangea card! I absolutely love the distressing you did on it. I wish I distressed that well! Maybe I should get actual sponges instead of...wait for it...cotton balls. LOL

I can't get over how amazing your OLW14 card is! My son started woofing at it and I couldn't help but smile the entire time. It's SO much fun and I love the way you masked off the edge and drew in your own border!

Much like you, I don't like going to the movie theatre either. There's always someone talking too much, on the phone OR kicking the back of my chair. Argh. I'm glad the movie was so great in all respects! Much like Angela, I think Paul Rudd is a cutie/hottie, too. Friends, anyone? ;)

Emily Keaton said...

You lasted 6 hours, huh?? I know I would have been too proud of my work on something as awesome as that to keep in hiding for a coupla months. Good for you for striking while the iron was still hot!! Great cards today :) Your OL card is adorable. I love all the great embossed detail on the hydrangea card--that is such a super image. So much detail that you can leave it uncolored and not have it look unfinished!! Sounds like the movie was great--can't wait to see it :)

Maria@Crafty Cre8tions said...

Glad your DH loved the suitcase!!! That's awesome! Beautiful cards!! Love the OLW card! I gotta get to playin' in that one this week!!!
Thanks for the review on the movie -might have to venture out this weekend!
We might see The Kids are Alright tonight!
Maria

Susan said...

Cute, cute, cute! I LOVE the flower card...but the puppy card is just adorable...and made me smile! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

Love your cards, Meg! That Hydrangea is GORGEOUS!

Susan Raihala said...

What a cute puppy card, Meg! Daisy says hi!

The hydrangea card is gorgeous. Love how well the dp goes with the image!