Saturday, September 17, 2011

So You're Saying There's a Chance?

I was not really a fan of Dumb & Dumber, but this joke always cracks me up:


Lloyd: What do you think the chances are of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well, Lloyd, that's difficult to say. I mean, we don't really...
Lloyd: Hit me with it! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance... *YEAH!* 



I always think of it when I submit to Papercrafts that even if there's 1300 entries, there's still a chance.  Sometimes, however, I think my card can do a little better than one out of a million, like everything came together to make the perfect card for the theme and really I should just go ahead and mail to them now.  


And then they pick the other two that I submitted.  


NOT that I'm complaining, of course, because this is the first time they've ever picked two for the same issue from me, but just goes to show you it's always a surprise.  One of the "chosen ones" was a card I made for Gallery Idol, but then went in a completely different direction.  I mention that because another Gallery Idol contestant, Amber, is hosting a Paper Craft Reject Hop, so I thought I'd join in.  


Wow, that was a lot of work to get to this card:
Ok, so yes, I think it would have been better if the colored gnome was maybe half an inch to the left, but I sure as heck was not going to restamp the panel.  It was definitely a fun card to make, trying to be "random" in my gnome placement but still not have the same gnomes too close together.  And Chowderhead font makes every day a party, doesn't it?  The colored strip of paper is becoming my go-to accent: it doesn't add as much weight to card and is easier to mail than a bow.   


Scheduling update: I think I was too excited about TAR last week, but unfortunately it doesn't start until next Sunday.  Fortunately that gives Mr Corgi and I more time to get through The Good Wife (we should be finishing up disc 4 today).


I hope y'all are having a wonderful weekend!  I have some blog commenting to catch up on and then some fun cardmaking planned.  Yippee!


Gnome Like You Supplies:

22 comments:

Maria@Crafty Cre8tions said...

Congrats on getting TWO cards chosen! That is awesome!!!!!!!!

I love this gnome card!! perfect that he's the only one colored - I love it!!!!

Hope all is well :)
Maria

Lindsey said...

Wow, that's a lot of work, masking all those gnomes, Meg! But I LOVE the result!!! I think the coloured gnome is in the perfect spot. If this is your "reject", I can't wait to see the two that got picked!

Lisa Lara said...

I just loved reading your blog post. You know I just enjoy reading every word of all your posts. You are so funny and engaging. I want to start submitting to Paper Crafts and you summed up my anxiety. Hee. I cannot tell you how much I enjoy this card. Love love love it. Must have been a whole lot of masking going on. Hee. I knew I asked the right stamper for a sample. Wink

There She Goes Clear Stamps said...

This card is absolutely amazing Meg! I can tell how much work you put into it and it was well worth it :)

Jenny said...

I can't imagine how much work this card must have taken and then to be rejected!!! It's a real smiley card :)
Jenny x

Unknown said...

great card Meg! i love it...so hard to understand why it wasn't picked up...wow. congrats on the other two that were though! i received happy mail too...for the one card i submitted...and for the FIRST time! so exciting...can't wait to see our creations in print.

~amy~ said...

yahoooooo for the pubs and seriously LOVE your fun gnomie card!

Jen W. said...

Wow. I cannot even imagine how long this took you. It's so awesome! And I'm diggin' your strips of paper as I'm not a big bow/ribbon fan myself.

And big congrats on your 2 pubs! Whoop whoop!

Jess said...

You absolutely rock the masking technique! I don't think I've masked a stamp like that in my life - too hard for me ;)

And well done on the card publications!!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow! You're a masking master! And this card is beyond cute, love EVERYTHING about it :)

Michelle said...

Wow! I don't think I'll EVER do a masking card anywhere near as complex as this one! It's really cute, too!
Congratulations on the two that were picked, that's fantastic!

Jocelyn Olson said...

Seriously? That is all masked? Did it take you 100 hours? That is just crazy--and crazy cute, too! I love a good gnome and the lone colored one is sooooooo adorable. I guess I don't feel bad about my masking card not making it. My hubby just saw your card and said, "What you did was great but hers is really something special." LOL!

Poppit said...

wow - this is amazing! Well worth the effort. Totally adorable! Well done! x

Angela said...

Holy masking, Meg! Love the way this turned out, and those PC folks don't know what they're missing! It's adorable.

Emily Keaton said...

Your masking is a slamdunk, Meg!! Congratulations on your not one, but TWO acceptances at PC!! How fabulous. I can't wait to see which ones were chosen!!

Jessi Fogan said...

Awesomeness :) I love his eyes!
Congrats on your double publication - excited clapping!
I haven't seen Dumb and Dumber in a long time, but I must say I loved that part. It reminds me of a guy I know ;)

Glenda J said...

Congrats on getting 2 in! This is absolutely adorable - the positioning of the gnome is perfect.

Darla Weber said...

That looks like a lot of work! Very cute!

Sarah said...

I *love* that card, Meg. A lot of work for a great result. And that colored paper strip as an accent is something I'll have to try. This is totally going into my inspiration folder!

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

LOVE! You rocked on the masking, girl! FABULOUS! this is cute as can be. :)

Emily Leiphart said...

LOL!!! I seriously burst out at Jocelyn's comment. BUT THIS WAS A REJECT? You've got to be kidding. Well, obviously you're not 'cause you're showing it but I'm stumped. There's nothing wrong with it in my opinion - it's rather incredible - but congrats on the other two cards! WOOT!!

Emily Leiphart said...

LOL!!! I seriously burst out at Jocelyn's comment. BUT THIS WAS A REJECT? You've got to be kidding. Well, obviously you're not 'cause you're showing it but I'm stumped. There's nothing wrong with it in my opinion - it's rather incredible - but congrats on the other two cards! WOOT!!